How to Use the Needle Exchange System
The needle exchange system is designed with 3 things in mind – safety, efficiency, and containment.
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Insert old needle into the empty side of the needle exchange
- Rotate the syringe a quarter turn counter clockwise to unlock the old needle.
- Remove the sterile plastic cap on the new needle. Insert the tip of the syringe into the new needle, and turn it clockwise until the new needle is tight.
- Dispose of needle exchange with dirty needle in approved container.
- You can safely remove the old needle by inserting it into the removal side of the exchange vessel.
- It has special grips that help to hold the needle firm while unthreading it from the syringe.
- The old needle is then retained safely in the vessel while you insert your syringe onto the new needle in the other end of the vessel.
- You are then left with a safely contained used needle that can be disposed of in a normal garbage bin or sharps container.
This system can greatly improve safety and efficiency for the person vaccinating as it prevents pricked fingers, normal frustration of trying to remove a stuck needle, and safe containment of the used needle all in one simple product.